nuffnang

March 20, 2015

Teacher Trainee Guide to Teaching Practice (Practicum)

Hello everyone!

I remember like it was yesterday I went for my first teaching practice and now I am a full-fledged teacher. Like I said it my previous post, being a teacher trainee is a lot different from being a teacher. However, practicum really helps a lot in preparing me in this career. Here I will share some tips or trick to strive in your teaching practice.

Third Practicum: Program MBMMBI

1. Be shamelessly friendly to everyone, except the pupils.
Being new to the school, you should create a warm and friendly relationship. Especially to other teachers and staff. They are the ones that will help you in terms of the pupils, school management and marks. Even the staff, the canteen lady, the gardener. Smile, say hi, greet them. Be nice to them. Who likes an arrogant attitude right? Be professional and humble. You are there to learn.

Except to the pupils. You are there to teach. They must respect you. So to earn that respect, you should go slow and steady with the pupils. I will be damn serious with the pupils the first time I meet them or on first day of practicum. It will go on for probably a week before I will let my barrier down. Tho I think this can only be apply on the primary pupils. When they get out of hands, scold them and meant it. 

2. Don't isolate yourself
Mingle with the teachers. They are the one with all the information that you need. They have experience. During my second practicum, there is a place where some of the teachers hang out while waiting for their classes, it is the counselling room. When ever I am free or have nothing to do, I will go and hang out there. You will learn a lot listening to other teachers conversations.

Second Practicum: Rumah Terbuka Raya. With the Guru Besar of ST Agnes Likas.

3. Ask questions
While mingling with the teachers, ask questions. When we are having a break at the canteen, my friends and I would also purposely go and sit next to the teachers. Be nice and get to know the teachers. I would asks questions for examples, how many years they have been teaching, how was the school, what is the difference from their previous school. From that you will get a lot of information. Next time if you need guidance and help, you wont be that shy to ask them again because you already break the ice.

Second Practicum: Last day of Practicum. With the teachers.

4. Do you work
You can be lazy or hardworking, its up to you. However, you are the one that going to take the name for it. I remember that during one of my practicum, the teachers were asking us about some of the teacher trainee that had their practicum there before. Then they started talking about one of the previous teacher trainee and said that the person was very lazy. Another practicum, the teachers also asked about the previous teacher trainee but they are asking where are they now or telling us where they got posted, its like they miss them. Its up to you what image you want to leave the school.

5. Learn and let go
Being a teacher trainee and teacher is different. The culture is different. Be open minded and try to accept the tasks that is given. Trust me, you will need the experience. But don't let it overwhelm you till you can't do the tasks that is assigned to you by your lecturers. Tho you have no idea what you are doing, you can always asks the teachers. If you screwed up, well you always have an excuse that you are still new and have zero experience on it. Hahaha

These are just some things that I find helpful and help me to adapt to the school even better. Handling the kids require a different approach and that a different story. The first practicum is the most awkward and nerve racking thing to experience but trust me you will get the hang of it.

All the best! 

5 comments :

  1. Point number 4 had me. My batch of trainees were compared to the previous one, and when my batch was more for 'sleeping' when having our free time, you know where we stand lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha yeah they always do that, now that I am in school I could't help it but comparing what I did during practicum and what the trainee in my school do now.. I'll be like... when I was doing my practicum bla bla bla bla... hehehe

      Delete
  2. thank u! helps a lot... so, the overall point is...be friendly haha. Ok.. I'm not really good at being friendly but I'll try my best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah yeah you got it! not with the pupils of course..

      Delete
  3. "Except the pupils."
    Wakaka. The students must be so sad to be ignored by you. Haha jk.

    Anyways, it's always nice to visit your blog because you still actively blogging and your smile is just motivating or something like that. LOL.

    But I think the most common thing for a workplace regardless of where it is, do not isolate yourself because that's just not good for the whole team. Hehe.

    Happy Tuesday, tomorrow, Dora the Teacher. (I'm trying my best not to say explo***). Okbye haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thought!